Please click below to read the Parish Council’s Social Media Policy, last reviewed and approved by Council on 17 January 2019:
Barling Magna is a village and civil parish in Essex, England. The word “Barling” is said to derive from two Saxon words “bar”, a boar, and “ing”, a meadow.The Domesday Book of 1086 records the name of Barlinga (Barling), although historical remains and field boundaries found in the area suggests that it may even date back to Roman times.Situated approximately 4 miles northeast of Southend-on-Sea, it falls within the administrative district of Rochford and the Parliamentary Constituency of Rochford & Southend East.The rural parish includes the hamlets of Barling, Little Wakering, Potton Island and Stonebridge. The word ‘Parish’ in the title ‘Barling Magna Parish Council’ encompasses all of the residents of the above. Barling lies to the west of Potton Creek, a tributary to the River Roach and is mainly situated along Little Wakering Road, Church Road and Barling Road. Where these roads meet is the village duck pond known as Weir Pond corner.The Church of All Saints in Barling Magna is built of Kentish ragstone and is a fine example of Norman Church architecture. It comprises a Nave, a north Arcade, a Chancel with Vestry attached and a fortified Tower. Opposite the Church of St Mary the Virgin in Little Wakering stands a terrace of 17th century dormer cottages. This church, dating from the 12th century, was largely rebuilt by John de Wakering, Bishop of Norwich. The Royal Arms of George III are displayed in the tower of the church. He visited in 1769.